Sunday, March 27, 2011

Creating an inky bleed effect in Nuke with Time Offset

Here's a quicker tip/trick related to Nuke. A really cool time offset effect that's actually way more complicated than it looks. This time it was for a job I was actually on, though we didn't actually end up using it for the final, as far as I know.
The gist of the technique is to use a time-offset node to take a frame that has literally just been written an instant before, add some effects and merge it back into the frame that's about to be written. So you get a cool trailing effect that iterates on itself, anything in the past growing while keeping a tight "leading edge". Not too crazy once you've seen it, but pretty hard to explain.
Anyways, Andy Jones at Method NY showed me this (he actually just did it and then had the unenviable task of explaining it to me once I took over the comp). Hopefully you understand it better than I did the first 30 minutes or so.
Cheers.


Nuke/Compositing: Inky Time Offset Effect from zeth willie on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment